Thursday, July 25, 2013

Book Review: Anya's Ghost

Anya's Ghost
by 
Date Read:  7/24/2013
Rating:  ★


This is the first graphic novel that I’ve read.  I’ve read all the Avatar comic books/graphic novels, but they’re very short and definitely more on the comic book side.  This book was much longer.

It actually read really fast because there were several pages where there were no words, just pictures of things happening.  No color was used in this book which was unique.  I actually kinda liked it.  The style meshed really well with the story of the book.

One thing I didn’t like about the book was how prevalent and okay smoking was made out to be.  I hate smoking, so that really bothered me.  And I don’t want my teenager to read this and then think smoking is cool.  It also focused a lot on her personal image and fitting in at school.  It was really irritating at the beginning, but the morals at the end of the story work themselves out.

This book actually gets pretty creepy.  I read Anna Dressed in Blood a few months and absolutely loved it.  Everyone had told me that it was a scary book, but I didn’t think it was at all.  But this book, it definitely turns kind of dark. And with the pictures, it actually makes it pretty creepy!  I had sort of figured the plot twist, but it was still fun and exciting once it happened, even though I had predicted it.

I actually really liked the book.  I started it and finished it in one day.  You just kind of have to get past the first few pages of annoying, and then the story picks up and the dialogue gets way better.  If you enjoy ghost stories and stories that have a bit of a creep factor, you should definitely pick this up.  I think I’ll go and pick up some more graphic novels.  I enjoyed it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...