Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Movie Review: That Awkward Moment


I'm not sure where to start this review.  I think I'll start with how much I adore Zac Efron.  I've loved him since he was in the TV show Summerland as a side character.  Then he made it big on Disney in High School Musical (yes, I still watch the Disney channel even now).  The next real movie I saw him in was Charlie St. Cloud.  That was a great movie.  It actually inspired me to read the book, which I really enjoyed. But I thought his acting was really good in that.  I feel like his acting is pretty natural.  He was able to pull off a real sense of friendship with the other actors. The acting I love best is when they can really just bounce off each other really quick and easily (think Gilmore Girls).  And of course, Zac Efron has gotten buff also, so he's pretty easy on the eyes as well.

But lets stop oogling Zac Efron and talk about the movie.  I think the plot and concept were really great.  It was nice to see a movie from the guy's perspective. You don't see that very often.  I also really liked that they had the guy who was going through a divorce along with the guys who were trying to start relationships with girls.  The dynamic was very interesting.

Some of the dialogue was really well scripted.  And some of the scenes were so subtle but amazing - I attribute this mostly to the actors though.  You can plan to add some subtle things to it, but the actors have to be able to pull it off to make it work - and they did.

The movie had quite a few really funny scenes.  This is definitely considered a romantic comedy.  It is probably one of the funnier romantic comedies I've seen in a while.

But lets talk about the raunchiness of the movie.  This movie is rated R.  I actually wanted to find out why it was rated R before going in, because we expected it to be rated PG13.  What I found when I did research is that it was mostly rated R for language.  They use the "F" word a LOT.  Profusely.  Unnecessarily.  But I can overlook that.  My reserach said that it also wasn't that raunchy.  So I was happy.  Because honestly, raunchy movies are not my favorite.  Sometimes it can be funny, but most of the time it's completely unncesssary - it doens't move the plot along.  It's just there.  But when we watched the movie, there were actually quite a few scenes that I was surprised were in there.  Scenes that I think when they get edited out for TV, won't affect the quality or plot of the movie.

So instead of getting an A rating from me, I think I give it a B for the raunchy scenes.  It seems like a cop out to add a few more minutes to the movie and make the poeple who like that kind of stuff happy.  But honestly, this movie would have actually been very good without those scenes and the profuse use of the "F" word.

My favorite part of the movie was at the very end when he has his soliloguey trying to win the girl back.  I thought it was a great way to wrap it all up and bring it back to the beginning.

Soo....what did you think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...