Monday, May 5, 2014

Book Review: Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth About Pregnancy and Childbirth

Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth About Pregnancy and Childbirth
by  Jenny McCarthy
Date Read:  5/2/14
Rating: ★


Well this book wasn’t very funny to me.  It also wasn’t very helpful either.  This entire book is basically just a biography about her own pregnancy, not pregnancy in general.  So if you’re hoping to read this to really find out what to expect, pick up something different that at least shows all the differences.  Every pregnancy is different, but this entire book only focuses on her symptoms, etc.

Things that I hated about this book:

1)      It only focused on her pregnancy.  I’ve never been pregnant before so I would like to know what I should be expecting as the weeks go on.  However, I’m halfway through now and have not experienced half the things she did, and I certainly didn’t react the way she did.  If she’s going to title her book “The naked truth about pregnancy”, then it should run the gambit of what you can expect.  Otherwise, it should be “The naked truth about MY pregnancy”.

2)      The language she used.  She swears a lot.  Using swear words is NOT necessary to get your point across.  I just found that it was tacky and actually jarred me out of whatever annoying story she was telling.  It made me really not care about whatever she was trying to explain to me.  Maybe you talk like that (however I don’t even think you need to swear when you talk), but definitely not in a published book.

3)      Her relationship with her husband.  My husband and I have a caring relationship.  We actually care about each other.  And though we like to tease each other, we do it in an innocent way.  We would never tease each other in a hurtful way.  Though, I do know several couples whose relationships are built that way, and it works for them.  But not for us.  So her stories about how her husband would egg her on when she was in a bad mood, or stopped the car when she had to pee, is not something I would ever experience.  Sure, my husband might tease me about the amount of times I changed my mind on what sounded good for dinner…but he would never make me sit down and eat it just because he thought it’d be funny.  And I would never, ever throw something at my husband (without it being a pillow in a teasing manner).  I would never throw TV remotes at him in a fit of rage.  Just because you’re pregnant and have more emotional fluxes, it doesn’t give you the right to be a raging lunatic.  You still have morals free will.  You can choose to give in to it or not.

4)      Her constant mention of her “celebrity” status.  I could care less.  90% of the world does not deal with those problems.  So why is that included in a pregnancy book?  It was a brag book for her.  I don’t care that she had to watch her weight or hide her pregnancy because she was famous.  How in the heck does that relate to pregnancy?  And then the story about how she was able to get a table at a specific restaurant because she was famous just annoyed me to no end.  That does not help any woman who is not pregnant.  UGH.

5)      The book told you a little about what happened during labor and delivery.  But it’d didn’t go in to detail.  And it certainly didn’t tell you anything about what to expect AFTER delivery. How does a pregnancy book not describe what to expect after delivery?

The only thing I liked about this book was that it was short.  And that I was given this book by a friend and I didn’t spend my own money on it.  I do not plan to read any more of Jenny McCarthy’s books and I certainly do not recommend it to any first time moms.  Perhaps the people who enjoy this are ones who are on their third or fourth kid and just need something to pass the time.  So her story is more entertaining.  But we moms who have never been through this and wanted to be prepared, this book does not help one bit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...