Monday, June 22, 2015

Book Review: Christmas in Camelot

Christmas in Camelot
by  
Date Read:  6/20/15
Rating: ★ ★ 

So I read this out of order. I read the Halloween book before the Christmas book.  I think I would have been more surprised at the end about who the Christmas Knight was if I hadn’t read them out of order.

Nevertheless the story was still fun.  Jack and Annie get to go to Camelot at Christmas-time.  But Camelot is not what they were expecting.  I think this is a fun way to introduce kids to the myth surrounding Camelot, King Arthur, and the Knights of the Round Table.  I love when books and movies use myths – even if they completely change them.  Are some kids going to think that the way the Disney Huntchback of Notre Dame ends is the way the book ends? Yes.  But at least it is getting kids introduced to the story. And if they enjoyed it enough, they’ll pick up the book – or at least research it more. That is why I think I will like these stories.

These books are super easy reads.  This one felt to read even faster than the Halloween one did.  I look forward to reading these with Brooklyn at bedtime when she gets a little older.  What I really like is that the author gives details at the end of the book where various aspects of the story were inspired. She gives you more details surrounding the myths.


Overall a fun book for kids.  If you’re looking for ways to introduce your kids to history and myths, this has seemed like a fun way to do it so far.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...