Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Book Review: The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles #1)

The Field Guide (#1)
by  Holly BlackTony DiTerlizzi
Date Read:  9/14/15
Rating: ★ ★ 

This was an easy read. It’s about on the same level as the A Series of Unfortunate Events series by Lemony Snicket, but is not as sad (so far anyway)! 

Not a whole lot happened in this book. It mostly introduces you to the characters and gives a very brief back story on them. The family moves in to a new house and strange things start happening. They investigate and find a secret room which will start opening their eyes to the “fantastical world around them”.

The end reminded me of the Lemony Snicket books in that the author warns the reader to put the book down and not read anymore.  In this story, the brownie (boggart) warns the children to throw the book away.  I obviously do not believe that they will do that.

I carpool with my husband for half of my drive to work every day. We listen to audiobooks during that half of the drive which I really like – right now we are finishing off the Lemony Snicket series (we’re in the middle of book 12)!  But I’ve been thinking I want to listen to something for the second half of my drive too since I don’t get much time to myself to read anymore with a 1 year old at home.  I think these will be good to listen to for my second half of the drive.

Looking forward to what else is in store for the Grace children in the future.  I watched the movie a long time ago, but don’t remember much about the story – though it’s probably pretty different from the books anyway.  I own it on DVD though, so I will go back and watch it once I’ve read the series.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...