Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Book Review: The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (The League of Princes #1)

The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom
by  Christopher Healy
Date Read:  5/3/16
Rating: ★ ★ 
★ ★ ★ 

I had been looking for something else to listen to for my portion of my commute to work that I drive without carpooling. I like the more middle grade books because you don’t have to pay as close attention to them to keep up with the plot or catch key hints.

I am soo glad I listened to this one. This story was so much fun! Everything was great – from the concept of the story (fairy tale twists), to the writing (humorous), to the narrator.  I absolutely loved the twists on the fairy tales used in this book. The four tales that are used are: Cinderella, Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White. Each of the princes in these stories are separated from their princess for various reasons and bitter about the town bards (singers) who turned the story around and didn’t even use their name – they are only known as “Prince Charming”. They end up running in to each other and decide to become real heroes.

This story was told with a lot of humor in it. It kept the story light-hearted.  I found myself either laughing or smiling throughout much of this book. I felt it was a bit longer than it needed to be, but overall I still give it 5 stars. I really enjoyed it. Each prince had his own flaws and as the story unfolds you see how these princes grow and how they embrace and use each other’s abilities to defeat the bad guys.  

The narrator did a great job. With so many characters it could have been hard to keep them all straight; but he did a good job with creating very distinctly different voices. He even had the princesses voices be similar to their prince so you could keep track of who was who’s prince.

This is a great book to listen to in the car because it’s light and funny – I can get crabby sitting in rush hour traffic, but I never noticed while I was listening to this story. I highly recommend it if you’re looking for a light, funny read – especially if you love fairy tales like I do. I can’t wait to listen to the next in the series and see what is in store from our League of Princes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...