Friday, May 20, 2016

Comic Book Review: Lady Michanika #0

Lady Michanika

Free Comic Book Day 2016

by  Joe Benitez

Date Read:  5/19/16
Rating: ★ 
 ★  

I have the Free Comic Book Day version of this.  I was a little skeptical at the beginning because I wasn’t a fan of the way Mechanika is drawn – she looks even more exaggerated than Barbie with her tiny waist, big hips and big boobs.  But once I started reading I sort of enjoyed it.

There were definitely some flaws that I didn’t like – for instance the fact that she was hunting this “devil” and as soon as he said “oh ok, I don’t want you to kill me” she made friends with him immediately.  That was not very believable. I did like him, but I just didn’t think she should trust him so quickly.

I liked the era and style. I really enjoy steampunk and clockwork art. I liked the outfits that most of the characters wore. The last little excerpt we are given has a beautiful boarded around some of the images giving it a Victorian feel. And I loved the design of the clockwork bird at the beginning of it.

There were some pages that were just cluttered with text - it's hard to keep looking at the pictures while reading where there is that much text. There were a couple pages that it was hard to follow the dialogue to know which direction you were supposed to read. The reader is given some info and of course not enough info all at the same time. I enjoyed it enough – I just can’t decide if I enjoyed it enough to actually go pick up the rest of the comics…

I’m undecided on this one. I’m glad we picked it up on Free Comic Book Day though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...